Monday, December 6, 2010

Duchamp Fountain

I thought that I would just insert the essay that I wrote on Duchamp for French class two semesters ago. It sheds a little light on my lack of art education (that has now been partially fulfilled):

When Dr. Dalia began speaking, I was immediately captivated by her interesting accent and genuine excitement about Marcel Duchamp. Her accent sounded kind of French, but not exactly. Eventually, she informed the audience that her first language was Hungarian. This alleviated my intense curiosity. Also, Dr. Dalia excitement about Duchamp was entirely genuine. This genuine and earnest excitement about learning was something that I was introduced to by my parents, but rarely collided with in my education before I got to Oglethorpe. Here, I get to see my professors truly excited about their subject matter. I think it is because they are still learning, unlike many middle and high school teachers.
Dr. Dalia’s speech about Duchamp was my first real introduction to Art History. As a history major, one might find that fact surprising, but I attended a rural high school in South Georgia, where football is more highly valued than education. I was incredibly interested in the concept of the viewer’s involvement in art. It is interesting to think that one person could change the direction of an entire field so dramatically.
Dr. Dalia said one additional fact that I believe it is important to mention. She said that the last institution to the affected by the recent economic crisis was art. So, DO NOT invest in real estate, invest in art instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment